Thursday, June 02, 2011

Babies in Wegbe


The trip to Wegbe was a pretty easy one. Definitely not as bad as I thought that the journey would be. It ended up only taking 3.5 hours instead of the 4 hours that I had prepared myself for and I was lucky enough to be sitting next to someone from Wegbe that Alex knew. She was very sweet and held one of my bags the entire time and offered me food to snack on during the long ride. Upon my arrival in Wegbe in the early afternoon on Sunday, I went to visit Alex’s family and meet his new niece. She is the baby that I was supposed to have named but the chief of the village ended up picking a different name for her and it superseded the name I had chosen. I was disappointed with this especially since I had spent so much time thinking about it and trying to pick the right name but I love the baby the same nonetheless. The name that she was given is Bevlyn. She turned one month old this past weekend and is seriously the smallest baby I have seen. Her 0-3 month clothing was so baggy on her and I had to roll up the sleeves on every outfit she was dressed in. Her size and cuteness make her seem like a doll. She is gorgeous and has huge eyes that just watch everything during her waking hours. I spent a lot of time with her while in Wegbe, holding her and loving on her. When sitting with the baby by the side of the road in front of the hair salon in the compound where my room is located, I got many interesting looks from passersby. I even witnessed two motorcycle drivers completely turn around while driving to take a second glace at me with this tiny black baby. Even my driver in Wegbe, Godwin, who I talked with on a pretty regular basis while in the US asked me if she was my baby. It was quite amusing.
After meeting Bevlyn, I went to visit Cynthia and meet her baby sisters. Cynthia was woken up from a nap to see me so she was quiet at first but quickly showed excitement that I had arrived. Her mother was pretty happy to see me as well and introduced me to the twin girls who are now about 7 or 8 months old. We hung around Cynthia’s compound for awhile as word spread quickly that I had arrived and a group of children had already gathered around to see me. We then walked around part of the village, me and about 25 children, as they wanted me to visit some other children who obviously had not yet gotten word of my arrival. I was excited to see my kids so I didn’t object. The kids were pretty excited to see me and a lot of the adults were as well. It was such a great feeling! I received many hugs and had the pleasure of bringing many smiles to people’s faces.
Upon visiting Constance’s new home and after receiving a huge hug from his mother, I was told that he now had another baby brother and that I should go inside to see the baby. I went inside with the mother where I learned that Constant’s baby brother had actually been born just a few hours earlier – on that same day – in that same room, on the bed. I held the newborn baby and congratulated the mother. She now has four young boys so she definitely has her hands full. I wanted to take a photo of the baby but pushed that desire aside as the room was extremely dark and the flash on my camera can be quite blinding. We could not take the baby outside for a photo as in Ghana, babies are not brought outside until they are one week old.
I eventually returned back to the compound with a whole gang of children following me, something that Alex’s family just laughed at. Lunch was prepared for me and after spending some more time with the kids, Roland and I set off, with Cynthia in tow for the soccer match which I wrote about in my previous entry.

No comments: