Tuesday, August 04, 2009

My Amazing, Supportive Community

Nicole: I am so happy to have my sister here in Ghana with me – I am so lucky to have such loving, kind sister. She has spent the past two days with me at our hotel, caring for me and making sure that I am okay. She has been such a great help and has shown so much love and care towards me.

Last night, just before the first bag of the drip finished, we called the doctor as we were instructed to do. He came over and told us that they wanted to do the second bag right away so that they would not have to put another needle into me the following day (today). As it was so difficult for them to find a vein that was strong enough to take the medicine, I agreed. As it was late, the nurse slept with Melissa and me in our room to make sure I was okay and so that she could take the needle out when the second bag for the drip finished.

I fell asleep and didn’t wake up until the nurse was putting a bandage on my hand in the place where she had taken the needle out. I have slept a lot today and with the help of all the medicine in the drip, I am now feeling much better. I will continue to take it easy to make sure that I fully recover and do not get sick again as I am sick and tired of being sick and tired.
I am comforted by the fact that I have so many people here (and back home) that care about me and love me. As Melissa said, people have been stopping by our room all day and calling to make sure that I am okay. I am so lucky to have such a strong support system and people who are here to make sure that I am healthy and safe.

No comments: