Monday, May 18, 2009

Christ Orphanage

Today was the day I have been looking forward to the most. Today was the day that I actually got to return to Christ Orphanage and see all the kids again. I was awoken early by a loud knock on my door. It was one of the hotel workers, bringing me my breakfast. At 6:30am! As much as I tried, I could not go back to sleep and decided to get ready for my day. Patrick came by and walked me to the orphanage, asking if I remembered where it was. I easily found it and told him that I could never forget! On the road to Christ Orphanage, one of the kids from the orphanage grabbed my hand and walked with me. Upon walking through the gate and into the orphanage, the children started chanting my name. My fear that they had forgotten me was quickly pushed away as I immediately had dozens of children attached to me, grabbing me, hugging me, and wanting to be picked up. Many of the children had new scabs, scrapes, and other injuries to show me.

When I finally got most of the children off of me, I walked in to the school building and was happy to see that the artwork, numbers, letters, and other things I had put up on the wall were all still there – and the kids were still using them. Not only were all these things still up on the walls, but other things had been added as well. The class that I taught last summer had new desks – they are not that great but they are better than making the children knell on their knees to do their work.

I was happy to learn that a new teacher had been hired for my class. We still have a lot to work on with them – starting with mastering the writing of their names. This is something I worked on with the children last summer but as my class was passed on from volunteer to volunteer, practicing this skill had been neglected. It is going to be one of my many goals for this summer.

Today was the day I have been looking forward to the most. Today was the day that I actually got to return to Christ Orphanage and see all the kids again. I was awoken early by a loud knock on my door. It was one of the hotel workers, bringing me my breakfast. At 6:30am! As much as I tried, I could not go back to sleep and decided to get ready for my day. Patrick came by and walked me to the orphanage, asking if I remembered where it was. I easily found it and told him that I could never forget! On the road to Christ Orphanage, one of the kids from the orphanage grabbed my hand and walked with me. Upon walking through the gate and into the orphanage, the children started chanting my name. My fear that they had forgotten me was quickly pushed away as I immediately had dozens of children attached to me, grabbing me, hugging me, and wanting to be picked up. Many of the children had new scabs, scrapes, and other injuries to show me.

When I finally got most of the children off of me, I walked in to the school building and was happy to see that the artwork, numbers, letters, and other things I had put up on the wall were all still there – and the kids were still using them. Not only were all these things still up on the walls, but other things had been added as well. The class that I taught last summer had new desks – they are not that great but they are better than making the children knell on their knees to do their work.

I was happy to learn that a new teacher had been hired for my class. We still have a lot to work on with them – starting with mastering the writing of their names. This is something I worked on with the children last summer but as my class was passed on from volunteer to volunteer, practicing this skill had been neglected. It is going to be one of my many goals for this summer!

No comments: