Sunday, April 05, 2009

We must be the change we wish to see in the world. -Gandhi

As you probably already know (cause I can't stop talking about it and counting down the days), I will be returning to Ghana in May for three months. I am very excited to see the children at Christ Orphanage, my adopted family, and all the other amazing people I met while I was there last summer.

I have been blessed to know such amazing people here in America who have helped me help Christ Orphanage over the past few months. It is such a blessing to see the number of people who have opened their hearts and assisted me in my fundraising efforts. Thank you for the great response to The Ghana Project's first fundraiser back in January! I look forward to hosting a similar event upon my return to America after 8 months in Africa in January 2010.

In January 2009, Fire Mountain Gems and Beads featured my story and the story of Christ Orphanage on their website. (Here is the link to the article for those of you who are interested: http://www.firemountaingems.com/specials/NL081230.asp?WT.fmg_linksection=5HYZX ) In response to this article, I received emails from FMG customers who wanted to find out more information about the way they could help Christ Orphanage. One lady in particular stands out. Vivian runs a sewing and design studio in New York called So You. After reading the story of Christ Orphanage on the FMG website, she wanted to know how her community could assist the orphanage. As a new site for Christ Orphanage (including housing for the orphans) is currently being built, we decided that pillowcases would be a necessity that Vivian's community could assist with. I was recently informed that Vivian as well as numerous other sewers sewed 50 pillowcases for the children! In addition to the 50 pillowcases, they are also sending 50 small pillows for the children.

It warms my heart to know that there are such good people who are willing to reach out and help Christ Orphanage and other needy organizations. As I told Vivian, I truly believe that the children will sleep better at night knowing that the pillowcases they are sleeping on were made with so much love!

I hope that you will continue to follow my 8 month long journey to Ghana, Kenya, and Tanzania! And if you are feeling inspired and want to help Christ Orphanage, please let me know! It is amazing how far a simple act of kindness, a small donation, or even just a card can go.

No comments: