Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Wonderful World

Hope things are going well back home. All is good here in Ghana. I have been very busy between working at the orphanage and spending time with baby Richmond (the neighbor’s baby). I have fallen in love with the baby and take care of him almost all day that I am at the home base. Occasionally I share him with the other volunteers too!

This week has been pretty good at the orphanage – crazy but good. I have learned that things are always crazy at Christ Orphanage. I brought a parachute and balls to play with today – something I found in the resource center here. I brought it out this afternoon when I was playing with the kids out on the field and the children went crazy. Another volunteer and I held the parachute over their heads and moved it up and down…this did not work too well as the children created a mosh pit in the center, knocking down each other. They do not have toys like this at their disposal as we do in America so they get super excited when they see them.

It is amazing how simple life is here though. The babies are strapped to their mothers backs with cloth…there are no strollers, no carriages, no pacifiers or other things that we think that babies need. Everything is simpler…yes, it is a village but I have come to realize that so much of what we have at home are unnecessary extra things. Yes I love my cellphone and laptop but I don’t need them 24/7. Having to walk to go use the internet was annoying at first but is kinda nice now. At home, I feel connected to my cellphone and email/ facebook inbox. But there is so much more to life than that. At home, we go from our air conditioned cars to our air conditioned jobs to our air conditioned houses and think nothing of it…we don’t say hello to people on the street or wave to the children or take a moment to admire the beautiful trees and flowers. Yes, the pace of life here is much slower but take a minute and think about the lives we live, all the extra stuff we tell ourselves we need and the opportunities available for you to help people/ brighten their day.

This weekend, I am off to Lake Volta which is about 2 hours away from Hohoe. I am traveling there with 3 of the other volunteers who have been here for a few weeks. The weekend after, I am off to Mole which I am super excited about.

Thank you for all the suggestions/ ideas! They are appreciated!!!!
Xoxo
Nicole

No comments: