Monday, July 07, 2008

Waiting on the World to Change

As I am writing on my blog, it has become evident to me that there are some thoughts that I have forgotten to share with you. I have had the opportunity to observe much as I have been in Africa for 2 1/2 weeks. It is amazing how friendly Ghanaians are. as I walk down the street, I am waved to by every person I pass, the children call out 'yevo' meaning, 'white person.' it is not a negative term in any sense. The children wave as hard as they can until we are long passed them...it is very sweet and always makes me smile. Some of the more outgoing children run to us and grab our hands, walking down the street with us. Their parents don’t mind, they don’t worry as Hohoe is an extremely safe town.

This past weekend, I traveled to Keta with 12 other volunteers. We spent Friday afternoon driving there and spent Saturday relaxing at the beach. As most of the other volunteers laid on the beach reading and tanning/burning, I made friends with some of the local children. I took them in the ocean and we had tons of fun trying to jump over the waves. These children took a liking to my video camera after I finally was able to explain to them that it takes a video, not a photo. They did not speak any English so this was a bit more difficult than it may seem. they were talking to me in ewe all day and I tried to explain to them that I don’t speak ewe but they didn’t seem to understand that. it was a beautiful day...the only downside was that the beach was a huge mess...covered in garbage. Later that afternoon, after showering, I walked down the street with the children and played with the entire family. I had a great time with them and was sad to have to leave them.

I have so much more to tell all of you so I will try to return to the internet cafe later tonight (it is currently 2:30 pm here and I am going back to Christ Orphanage at 3pm to play with the children out on the field.) if I am unable to make it back here today, I apologize but I hope you know that I am thinking about you and miss you all tons!

xoxo
Nicole

No comments: