Sunday, July 13, 2008

It's a Small World After All

I love receiving the emails from all of you! and the suggestions about positive reinforcement are great! I will put those ideas into use.

I’m sorry that this email is so scattered...I have many thoughts and not much time to get them all typed/ organized.

My weekend has been very nice and relaxing. Yesterday morning I walked into town. I later returned to town to take some of the new volunteers on a tour. Back at the homebase, I talked to a bunch of them and answered their questions. I also spent much time with my friends who live next door -- they have a baby boy (one month old) and a three year old girl. I spend a lot of time with the kids and always bring them over to the homebase to hang out. The mother doesn’t mind just giving me the baby for a few hours and letting me take care of him. Its amazing...something that I think most people in America would not do.

I went to church this morning with Rebecca, one of the ladies that helps clean/ take care of the house. It was incredible. Everybody was dancing and singing. I loved it! I love that they are so into their religion, even if it’s not the religion I practice. It was an amazing experience to be there...I videotaped a little of it so I can share it with all of you when I return home.

Earlier this week we went to the Llipke caves. They are a series of 6 caves. The hike/ venturing into the caves was a 4 hour hike. It was intense but beautiful. The caves required much climbing, ducking (to avoid hitting ones head) and walking. The view from the top was gorgeous but I was so tired from the extreme trek to the top that I didn’t want to go back down. if slept very well that night! I also recently went to the monkey sanctuary which is home to hundreds of monkeys. We bought bananas before arriving there and fed them to the monkeys right out of hands. I was in heaven (I love monkeys!!). There were even mother monkeys with babies holding onto their underside. It was so cute!

I'm going to head back home now! I miss you all! xoxo Nicole

by the way...Alie, if you read this, I met this guy named Carter in Keta last weekend. He is in Accra (the capital) volunteering and goes to school at Whitman. He is also going to be a sophomore and lived in the same building as you last year. Its crazy that I traveled across the world and met someone who goes to Whitman, such a small school.

No comments: